Roasted Chicken with Saffron and Lemons

Roasted Chicken with Saffron and Lemons
A classic dish all over the world. This beautiful Spanish version is a flamboyant crowd-pleaser. An organic whole chicken is rubbed with musky, floral saffron and layered with lemon slices and aromatic fresh rosemary. A few cloves of garlic (with skin on) are added for good measure. The creamy flesh of roasted garlic can be served with bread.

I have used Iranian saffron "sargol" (red stigma tips, strongest grade) purchased from a local Indian grocery store. I would recommend purchasing good quality saffron in Persian, Indian or Arabic shops. You may use grades of Spanish saffron like "coupé" (the strongest grade, like Iranian sargol) or "mancha" (red stigma tips with some yellow threads). Saffron threads from major supermarkets are much less aromatic. Steer away from saffron powder unless you absolutely trust your supplier. It is very tempting for packagers to add less expensive ingredient like turmeric.
Ingredients
    •   Around 1.4 to 1.6 kg whole chicken
    •   1 teaspoon saffron threads
    •   2 teaspoon kosher salt (I use Pink Himalayan salt)
    •   1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
    •   6 sprigs rosemary
    •   1 lemon, thinly sliced
    •   Butcher's string, for tying

Method (Serves 4)
1. Heat oven to 160 degrees celcius. Heat a skillet pan over low to medium heat. Toast saffron until slightly fragrant for about 1 - 2 minutes. Leave it to cool and transfer to a mortar and pestle. Add salt and peppercorns and grind into a coarse powder.
2. Slide fingers slowly under the skin of chicken breast to create a pocket. Rub spices over and under the skin, and inside the cavity.
3. Place rosemary and lemon slices under the skin and inside the cavity. Tie legs together using butcher's string and tuck wings under the back. Add a few garlic cloves (optional) around the chicken in the roast pan.
4. Roast for about 1 hour or a little over an hour, until browned. You may check with a thermometer, inserted into thickest part of thigh and reads 165 degrees.
5. Let it rest for at least 10 - 15 minutes before carving. Buen provecho!

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, I just finished drinking my fruit smoothie. However, my stomach is growling as a result of these pics. I am now officially hungry! LOL! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I just finished drinking my fruit smoothie. However, my stomach is growling as a result of these pics. I am now officially hungry! LOL! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts